For 15 years, Kelly Newsome (Culinary Arts ’17) dreamed of going to culinary school. Though her infatuation with food and cooking was sparked during college, various factors (like concerns from family and friends) pushed her off that track and into office jobs. It’s not an uncommon situation, but what set Kelly apart was her tenacity — it drove her to take small steps toward achieving her ultimate goal. First, she enrolled at New York University’s master’s program in food studies and spent three years working full-time while burning the midnight oil between classes and assignments. Then, she landed an attractive marketing position with a food science company, edging ever closer to the kitchen. Finally, at age 38, Kelly decided she couldn’t ignore her true passion any longer, and enrolled in ICE’s Culinary Arts program. “I just realized I’m never going to be happy unless I follow this passion inside me, which is to work in food.”

Why culinary school, instead of diving directly into the kitchen? Kelly explained, “I don’t have the luxury of working my way up in a kitchen at this stage in my life. So going to culinary school will certainly give me confidence when I walk into the kitchen for the first time.”

Want to gain kitchen confidence of your own? Click here to learn more about our Culinary Arts career training program.

4 Comments

1. Nancy Newsome Grubbs

I am so proud of you Kelly and you prove that it is never too late to pursue your dreams. I am so glad that you are doing something that you love and are passionate about.

2. A great person who can serve as an example to many others, a great source of insipiration that shows that if you really like the world e gastronomy, you have to make a wish, a strong support for Kelly and hope everything goes great, me I have loved this article, I share it, thank you and excellent work.