It was a pleasure teaming up this Thanksgiving season with Potluck Video’s Ali Rosen for an exciting three-part turkey series—from brined to bacon-wrapped to deep-fried. But once the magnificent feast is over, what do you do with all those leftovers? Watch below to find out our top tips.
The Ultimate Leftover Sandwich
- 2 slices Whole Wheat or 7-grain bread
- Brie cheesehttp://potluckvideo.com/potluck-video/2013/11/26/turkey-leftover-ideas
- 2 tablespoons leftover cranberry sauce (see below for recipe)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, sliced
- Cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- Cover 1 slice of bread with thin slices of brie. Then layer in order: cranberry sauce, apples, turkey and top with more brie. Lay a second piece of bread over the sandwich and press lightly.
- Butter the outside of the bread and brown in a non-stick pan over low heat. Flip and brown on second side.
Leftover Turkey Chilaquiles aka The Perfect Post-Thanksgiving Brunch
Ingredients (Chilaquile Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup mined onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo
- 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz beer (or water)
Instructions (Chilaquile Sauce)
- Place the olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds more. Stir in the chipotle and tomatoes and beer. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Ingredients (Turkey Chilaquiles)
- ¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 lb turkey meat
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- fresh cilantro, as needed
- sour cream, as needed
- minced onion, as needed
- 4 fried eggs
Instructions (Turkey Chilaquiles)
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Carefully add the tortillas one at a time and fry until just crisp. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt.
- Add the meat to the sauce and bring to a simmer.
- To plate, place a small spoonful of sauce on the base of plate, top with one tortilla. Cover the tortilla with more sauce and top with a second tortilla. Spread the second tortilla with sauce, then finish with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, onion. Top each with a fried egg and serve immediately.
Turkey and Oyster Gumbo
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb andouille, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock, heated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped turkey meat
- 2 cups shucked oysters
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan heat the oil and flour, stir constantly to form a roux. Cook over medium heat until dark brown (think melted milk chocolate) and beginning to smoke lightly.
- Add the sausage, onion, celery and pepper to the roux. Stir over medium heat until softened. Stir the garlic, thyme and oregano into the roux and immediately add 2 cups of the chicken stock. Stir rapidly until the mixture is once again smooth. Add another 2 cups of stock until, stirring well again before adding the remaining stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked turkey to the pot with the bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the oysters. Garnish with cooked rice.