ICE offers several à la Minute courses which are quick and easy ways to fit in a cooking class, especially during the summer months. I recently attended one of these courses and learned how to make handmade mozzarella. Given the hour and half session, time moved very quickly since I was kept busy in the kitchen and learning. We started with basic mozzarella and then jumped into one of my summer favorites, burrata. I love how refreshing this cheese is paired with a fruit platter for a quick summer appetizer. What was so surprising to me was how easy it is to make! When you are forming mozzarella, you simply make a hole in the cheese and place shreds of mozzarella and milk in the center, close it at the top and let it sit to form. The end result is a delicious, gooey treat.

Following our cheese-making session, we explored several ways to incorporate mozzarella into meals. We made a caprese salad and my favorite, mozzarella en carozza which are dainty grilled mozzarella cheese sandwiches that originated at Harry’s Bar in Venice. They were so good I just had to share the recipe below:

12 slices firm white sandwich bread
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices, at room temperature
½ bunch basil
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons

-Divide the mozzarella among 6 bread sides (leaving a small margin of bread on all sides), top with a few torn basil leaves, and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Top with the remaining 6 bread slices.
-Coat sandwiches with flour, knocking off excess. Beat together eggs, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper in another small shallow bowl.
-Heat ½ tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-ince heavy non-stick skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides. Meanwhile, coat 3 sandwiches, one at a time, with egg mixture. Fry, turning over once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes, then drain on paper towels. Coat and fry remaining 3 sandwiches in same manner.
-With a serrated knife, trim off the crusts, and cut each sandwich into 4 “fingers” and serve immediately.

ICE is offering this class again on July 14th so if you are a cheese lover like me, sign up here.

5 Comments

1. I took this mini class too! It was really cool to learn how to do this yourself. I will most definitely be doing it for parties.

2. I missed this class, but would definitely register to take it if it were given again. Do you have another one scheduled?

3. DICED Editors

Hi, Diana. Our new class schedule for the fall will be released in early August. Stay tuned for updates!

4. Hi!!! I see that the last post on this was back 2012. I would love to take this class and actually purchase as gifts and come as a group. Will you be offering this class again. Thank you in advance!

5. Thanks for stopping by the blog Josie! You can check out all of our recreational culinary courses here: http://recreational.ice.edu … we’d love to host you and your group!