Tomorrow, Farmer Lee Jones of The Chef’s Garden will be at ICE to discuss his transition from commercial agriculture to artisanal farm. After his family farm was nearly lost in the 1980s, Farmer Lee Jones worked with chefs such as Jean-Louis Palladin, Daniel Boulud, Alain Ducasse, Charlie Trotter and Thomas Keller to redevelop as an organic farm that sells directly to chefs around the country. As we gear up for his demonstration, we’ve been thinking about how we can learn more about growing food and using seasonal produce.

It just so happens that The Edible Garden at The New York Botanical Garden is in full bloom. Throughout the summer and into autumn, the exhibition celebrates locally-grown food and provides cooking and gardening demonstrations. Over the course of the season, there will be appearances by Lidia Bastianich, Rick Bayless, Daisy Martinez, Dan Barber, Sara Moulton and others. The programs are designed to celebrate edible plants and teach attendees about growing food. For example, in The Edible Garden Audio Tour celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Dan Barber and others narrate what different plants are and offer insight into how food gets from farm to table.

The Edible Garden offered us a pair of tickets to give away. The tickets will be good for any weekday or weekend, except for the Festival Weekends. Everyone who comments on this blog post will be eligible to win the tickets in a draw on Friday, August 13. So, we want to know, what is your favorite summer produce and how do you prepare it?

If you are interested in seeing the demo by Farmer Lee Jones, register online.

9 Comments

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Edible Garden | DICED: The Official Blog of ICE -- Topsy.com

2. favorite summer produce are yellow cherry tomatoes….and i love to prepare them by slicing in half, sprinkling with salt and also a very little bit of olive oil

3. My favorite summer produce are cherries and I prepare them as Cherry Crumble Pie. I bring them to a simmer with sugar until it’s melted, then I mix cornstarch with water and pour into the cherries and let them cook. Then I pour this filling onto a pie crust already set in a pan, sprinkle the crumb topping made with brown sugar, flour and melted butter and bake it! Delicious!!!!!!!!!

4. Pingback: The Chef’s Garden with Farmer Lee Jones | DICED: The Official Blog of ICE

5. i loooooooooove tomatoes. i eat them any way, any time. i also like nectarines a lot.

6. Tomatoes, anyway, anytime, all kinds…
    One of my favorites….a great slice of seedless rye bread, a layer of peanut butter (yup, peanut butter), a thick slab of bigboy tomato, a little salt….summer bliss!

7. My favorite summer produce are summer squash. I like to grill them or roast them.

8. My Favorite summer produce is peaces.

9. I am sorry I meant peaches.

10. My favorite summer produce is Avocado! Simply sprinkle a little salt and voila!

11. My favorite summer food are vine picked heirloom tomatoes.
    Thick slices cut into quarters, drizzle olive oil, sea salt, lightly sauté fresh oregano, pitted kalamata olives, bite sized cyues of fresh feta cheese and your done! This note a recpie as much as it is jazz/inspirational salad assembling!