Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

Tomorrow ICE Culinary Arts student Sonali Ruder will need plenty when she tries to win the Chefs of Grey Poupon Student Culinary Competition in Chicago. Back in March, Sonali secured her spot in the finals with her Mustard and Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Pomegranate Dijon Reduction, Celery Root Puree and Dijon Glazed Baby Carrots. Now she will be competing against students from The Culinary Institute of America, Johnson & Wales and Kendall College for up to $20,000 in a culinary scholarship. We’ll be having a viewing party for friends and family here at ICE, following along for photos, videos and updates on the Kraft Foodservice Facebook page.

We are looking forward to seeing all the student’s different mustard dishes and uses for Grey Poupon. We won’t be there to taste the dishes, but we are busy dreaming of what they will create. Mustard and scrambled eggs, anyone?

What we really want to know is what’s your favorite way to use mustard? Comment on this post and be entered into a draw to win a copy of Marcus Samuelsson’s latest book, New American Table on Monday, May 10.

Update: Sonali won the Chefs of Grey Poupon Competition!

7 Comments

1. Melanie Moss

Best of luck to Sonali!

My favorite way to use mustard is as a glaze, with honey and balsamic vinegar, on top of salmon filets – broiled over planks of cedar!

2. I use mustard in my Macaroni and Cheese; as a base for my Mustard Cream sauce to pour over pasta with grilled chicken and tomatoes; as a marinade or a rub for meat, chicken or fish before grilling; and I mix mustard, honey and a dash of tarragon vinegar for a salad dressing. Most recently, I ran out of mustard; using mustard seeds, vinegar and a pinch of coarse sea salt, I ground it in a mortar and pestle. Let’s face it, when you have beer and onion poached brats, mustard is a necessity! Mixing a bit of poaching liquid with the mustard kicked it waaay up; super awesome! That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

3. My favorite use is a tie – my kids love it mixed with sour cream and honey for dip for chicken – and I love it mixed with olive oil, white balsamic, lemon juice and minced shallots for a dressing on salad or (roasted) veggies.

Best wishes to Sonali! What a fabulous opportunity!

4. I like to make aioli with lots of mustard to use as a dip for crispy vegetables–string beans, radishes, boiled potatoes. Mustard is great in quick pan-sauces with cream and capers for pork tenderloin and steak as well as mixed with mayo for roast beef sandwiches with arugula. Then there is always good old honey mustard for homemade chicken fingers.

5. I really like to use grainy mustard in homemade potato salad.

6. I actually use mustard in many things I create. I’ve recently been counting calories and since mustard has a low calorie count and is full of flavor and has the ability to enhance & compliment many natural flavors of meats and vegetables.

One of my “every day” ways to use mustard is mixed with a balsamic or vinegarette dressing on-top salads I’ve created. It’s great to have spinach or romaine, tomatoes, diced carrots, diced green peppers, diced onions, then add chicken or steak and drizzle with the mustard/vinegarette dressing. Low calorie, high flavor, quick and easy salad.

7. This article, and other’s like it, rellay demonstrate one thig very clearly to me: mainstream Amercian media (including some mainstream Canadian media) are going along with the republican line on Afganistan too easily. What are they afraid of? We know mainstream media today are a very capitalistic enterprise but there must be more journalists with a conscience and investigative skills out there, surely. Where are they hiding?Critical, indepth, balanced reporting on Afganistan is sorely lacking. (Obviously not absent but very miminal.) If the media cannot bell the cat, who will?