ICE’s Culinary Arts Career Program equips students with endless techniques taught through delicious and original recipes. This quick-fix pasta dish is taught in Lesson 43 of Module 2 of the Culinary Arts Career Program and features a sauteed mix of sun-dried tomatoes, creamy mascarpone and Chanterelle mushrooms. This has been one of my favorite recipes that I’ve learned to make so far in the program, so I wanted to share it for a last-minute dinner idea!
5 ounces butter
8 ounces Spanish onion, small dice
6 ounces Sun-dried tomatoes, in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 ounces Chanterelle mushrooms, halved or quartered length-wise
8 fluid ounces heavy cream
1 ounce mascarpone cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces penne pasta
Makes 4 servings.
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the onion. Saute over low heat until the onion becomes translucent and is soft.
2. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and heat through for about on1 minute.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for five minutes, or until tender.
4. Add the heavy cream and mascarpone. Season with salt and pepper and reduce for five minutes over medium heat.
5. Cook the penne until al dente.
6. Toss the penne with the sauce, adding some of the reserved pasta water (if necessary) to moisten. Taste and adjust seasoning.