24. November 2009 · Categories: Recipes

Potato Cake

Potato Cake (slice)

One of the year’s biggest feasting days is almost upon us and what better way to launch into the holiday (eating) season than with a unique twist on a classic potato side. I made this potato cake, or Paillasson de Pommes de Terre, this week in class and thought it would be the perfect, crowd-pleasing dish to complement all of my family’s traditional Thanksgiving favorites. With just five simple ingredients you can kick up the flavor and the look of your holiday spread.

Ingredients:

4 Idaho potatoes

2 ounces canola oil

2 ounces butter

Salt & pepper to taste

Recipe:

Makes one paillasson.

1. Peel and wash the potatoes, then julienne with a mandolin. Cook immediately or toss in canola oil and hold for a few minutes before cooking.

2. In a non-stick saute pan, heat the canola oil and butter until sizzling. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.

3. Press the potatoes into a neat and even layer to completely fill the bottom of the pan forming the paillasson. Brown over medium heat for about 15 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Flip over, or slip onto a large plate, then turn it over and back into the pan.

4. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.

5. From time to time you may need to add bits of butter. Do this by slipping them down the sides of the pan. When cooked, place the potato cake onto towels to remove excess oil. Slice into wedges and serve immediately.

5 Comments

1. Wow, this looks simple and delicious! Thanks…

2. Gave it a shot a home and it was a real crowd pleaser.

My friend added powder sugar to something similar when we were out at Little Poland (where the usual sweet side seems to be apple sauce)…this could be an interesting addition with less salt and pepper if you’re in the mood for something sweet!

3. We’ve just discovered the greatness of organic farming in our own backyard, I have to say potato soup is our favourite of the month. I found a website dedicated to just potato soup recipes, can you believe it?!. There’s a website for everything nowadays it appears!

4. Lloyd E Lowe II

How is this not a hash brown?

5. Today I have found a new dish here Potato cake. I think it will be very delicious food. I will try to cook this food by nonstick saute pan which you have mentioned above. I have this pan in my kitchen collection.